In today's age of digital growth, a vast amount of text, images, and videos are being uploaded and shared on various platforms every day. When brands and online businesses use this platform, they must maintain an online environment that is safe and trustworthy for its users. Here is where content moderation comes into play.
The primary purpose of content moderation solutions is to screen user-generated content and ensure it adheres to preset guidelines. Today, we will explore what content moderation is, its types, the tools involved in content moderation, and how it plays a significant role in creating a positive user experience.
What is Content Moderation?
Content moderation is screening content posted by users to maintain a safe and positive online environment. The moderators review the content that users upload to a platform. They apply preset rules to monitor its appropriateness. If any content violates the guidelines, it is flagged and removed.
This content moderation process helps to free platforms from violence, offensive material, extremism, nudity, hate speech, and copyright infringements. Content moderation services are used by outlets such as social media, dating websites, apps, marketplaces, and forums to ensure their users have a secure and trustworthy space to interact in.
Understanding the Scope of Content
The term "content" includes a wide range of materials and media uploaded online. They could be blog posts on various platforms or videos on YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and beyond. Content creators play a significant role in shaping the digital landscape. Even seemingly innocent posts of pets or family gatherings contribute to the vast realm of user-generated content. Content moderators, therefore, have the critical responsibility of ensuring that all such submissions align with platform guidelines and do not harm the online community.
The Role of a Content Moderator
A content moderator's job entails several key responsibilities, each aimed at maintaining a safe online ecosystem:
- Understanding Client Policies: Content moderation services must be well-versed in the specific rules and guidelines set by the platforms they work for. This knowledge forms the foundation for their decision-making process when assessing user-generated content.
- Reviewing User Reports: User-generated content is subject to scrutiny by content moderation services, and any flagged submissions go through a review process. Human intervention becomes crucial here, as technology alone may not accurately assess certain content types.
- Identifying Workflow Improvements: Content moderators are encouraged to identify potential areas for process enhancement and suggest solutions. Their insights contribute to making content moderation services more efficient and effective.
Qualifications and Traits of a Content Moderator
Certain qualifications and personal qualities are deemed valuable when dealing with content moderation solutions and services:
- Educational Background: While employer-specific requirements may vary, a bachelor's degree is frequently preferred by content moderation services. This demonstrates a level of education and the capacity to manage a variety of responsibilities.
- BPO Experience: Experience in the BPO industry is preferred by content moderation services. It demonstrates the candidate’s familiarity with the demands of a dynamic and fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Content moderators may need to interact with users and coworkers from diverse backgrounds. They must be proficient in both written and spoken English communication.
- Passion for the Internet: Content moderation services seek out candidates who have a genuine interest in the online world and its various platforms. This interest helps content moderators maintain their engagement and dedication to their role.
- Strong Judgment and Critical Thinking: Content moderation services also look out for moderators who are able to make sound judgments when evaluating content. Critical thinking is important to determine what is and is not appropriate.
- Emotional Resilience: Due to the nature of their position, content moderators may be exposed to disquieting or upsetting content. To overcome such obstacles without jeopardizing one's health, one must maintain a strong mental state.
Content moderation is necessary to maintain a safe and positive online environment for users. By combining technology and human expertise, content moderation services can efficiently review and filter user-generated content and prevent harmful material from reaching their audiences. Finding the right balance for your platform will create an engaging and trustworthy digital community for everyone involved.
Content moderation outsourcing to a qualified external team is a viable option for platforms without an internal moderation team. Platforms seeking to enhance their content moderation capabilities can reach out to WOW to boost their moderation efforts effectively and efficiently.
This blog is inspired by the video, ‘CONTENT MODERATION JOB - Description, Qualification, What does it take to be one’ by Rea Ninja.